Reports To: Senior Solution Lead
This role is responsible for understanding business needs and driving solution delivery within a business domain. The main focuses are to provide technical leadership in implementing and maintaining end-to-end integrated operational data store and data warehouse solutions including Customer Information Data warehouse, ETL and BI components; with specialization in customer and commercial domain subject areas.
The Solution Lead, in collaboration with key stakeholders, should understand how and how well the business is supported by the IT product or applications in your area. You are responsible for end-to-end integrated operational data store and data warehouse solutions in ensuring the successful delivery of IT product or application with high quality deliverables, with specialization in customer and commercial domains.
- Support pre-project consulting for a portfolio pipeline of initiatives
- Capture and communicate business direction, challenges and requirements
- Recommends commercially and technically viable ideas to improve the business performance
- Develop and maintain a cross departmental view of IT and business
Technology Design and Implementation
- Understand and translate business needs into ODS and/or Data warehouses data models as well as ETL solutions.
- Collaborate with the Application Development teams to implement data strategies, build data flows and develop conceptual data models.
- Design initial logical and physical data models using best practices
- Evaluate data models and physical databases for variances and discrepancies. Validate business data objects for accuracy and completeness.
- Design, develop, implement, and support IT products and applications to meet the customer and IT needs
- Support design walkthroughs with IT and business people
- Recommend best practices for standard naming conventions and coding practices to ensure consistency of data models.
- Provide an escalation point for solution analysts in order to deliver business solutions that include technology implementations and/or adaptations
- Generate ideas and develop new approaches to improve overall system design and/or streamline delivery of product/system
- Focus on multiple medium to large scale initiatives
Initiate, define, plan and execute tasks / initiatives
- Test all solution aspects including but not limited to security, performance, integration
- Facilitate project progress through relevant gates
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the software development team and external 3rd parties as required
- Identify areas of risk and prepare strategies for mitigation for the projects
- Contribute to team resource planning
- Manage external 3rd parties as required
- Mentor less experienced people
- Keep abreast of latest trends in technology, industry and corresponding business domain
The Solution Lead may also:
- Participate in Product Vertical Teams to continuously experiment, iterate and deliver product objectives through adopting Agile development practices
- Perform the role of surrogate Product Owner / BU SME (generally Senior)
- Mentor Solution Analysts on any aspect of their role
- Act as an IT practice champion or be an Agile coach if required
- Degree qualification in Information Technology related discipline, Masters preferred
- 8+ years of related IT experience covering but not limited to:
- Software development
- System analysis
- Business analysis
- Solution definition
- System Testing
- At least 3 years of experience in leading the implementation of large scale data warehouse with hands-on experience in BI Tools and technologies (data modelling, data integration/ETL (Informatica PowerCenter), reporting, metadata management, data quality management, data mining, corporate performance management etc.)
- Strong in Database concepts and competence in SQL query and optimization, preferably Oracle PL/SQL, and/or Amazon Redshift/PostgreSQL
- Proficient in Python, Spark for large scale data processing, with knowledge in AWS Step and Apache Airflow function for workflow management
- Experience with dimensional modelling concepts including star schema, slowly changing dimensions etc.
- Proven extensive client facing experience with successful relationship management
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skill
- Experience managing a software development team
- Professional, passionate, innovative, self-motivated and able to present solutions to diverse groups of stakeholders
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills, leveraging both logic and creativity
- Proven troubleshooting skills; ability to identify patterns and generate ideas
- Experienced in driving technical innovation
- Experience with utilization of outsourced and/or globally distributed resources
- Airline or travel industry knowledge is highly beneficial
- Solid software development skill is highly beneficial
- Experience in working with Agile projects
- Consulting background is highly beneficial
- Understanding of cloud, DevOps, APIs / Mobility would be added advantage
Personal & Application Information
Cathay Pacific is an Equal Opportunities Employer. Personal data provided by job applicants will be used strictly in accordance with our personal data policy and for recruitment purposes only. Candidates not notified within eight weeks may consider their application unsuccessful. All related information will be kept in our file for up to 24 months. A copy of our Personal Information Collection Statement will be provided upon request by contacting our Data Protection Officer.
Please note that with effect from 1 June 2022 onwards, all Cathay employees and contractors who work in Cathay City and all other Cathay Group Company premises in Hong Kong must have received a third dose of COVID 19 vaccine. Being tested regularly for COVID-19 is not an option. Consideration will be given to those who are unable to get vaccinated for valid medical reasons