Reports to: Head of Technology & Architecture
The Solution Architect is responsible for developing and governing fit-for-purpose solution designs that address the business requirements and align with architecture strategies, roadmaps and standards.
- Develop solution options, with a primary focus on cloud, micro-service and container, and based on business demand, Enterprise Architecture and balanced comparison of functional capabilities, non-functional capabilities, risk, cost and benefits.
- Work closely with application and infrastructure teams on the conceptual designs and solution designs for project delivery. Analyse enterprise business context (trends and business strategy), as well as project-specific requirements to guide solution architecture by leveraging all aspects (e.g. business, information and technology infrastructure) of enterprise architecture. Ensure seamless integration with other application/infrastructure components.
- Construct and promote application/infrastructure development and deployment standards and guidelines.
- Work closely with other Solution Architects, Enterprise Architects, developers and key stakeholders to harmonise systems or infrastructure with the enterprise architecture. Drive discussions among Architects and key stakeholders to agree on the solution architecture.
- Communicate a clear vision of how the technology can be optimally applied to products and services.
- Work closely with the delivery teams and the technical leads to come up with the technology strategy and for the applications.
- Ensure solution architecture design work is documented in a structured fashion matching the Enterprise Architecture framework. Construct and promote application/infrastructure development and deployment standards and guidelines. Facilitate sharing of the artefacts to drive reuse.
- Keep abreast of the latest trends in technology, ensure timely exploration and proactively communicate IM’s position towards introducing relevant/key emerging technologies. Modify the Enterprise Architecture to accommodate near-term and long-term needs.
- Anticipate and act upon issues that arise, provide alternative approaches, optimal solutions and continually improve the performance of applications. Provide consultancy on performance optimisation for new and existing solutions, particularly during production fire-fighting situations.
- Understand, advocate and augment the business and IT strategies specifically on Enterprise Architecture development and service delivery.
- Work on prototypes and concepts for new technologies and ideas with little or no guidance.
- Support continuous improvement of standard Cathay IT Practices.
- Be able to communicate to any IT role using their vocabulary.
- Mentor the development team and promote ideas for useful technologies and methodologies.
- University Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related disciplines.
- A minimum of 7 years of IT experience with hands-on project solution architecture experience at enterprise scale.
- Clear understanding of various cloud services and reference architecture.
- A motivated, self-driven individual focusing on consulting around cloud-based solutions and services. Should be an experienced “solution-oriented” consultant with IT solutions design/development background.
- Experience with automation technologies like CloudFormation and Jenkins.
- Understanding of Agile and DevOps and implementation of DevOps in large organisations.
- Understanding of cloud-friendly application development methodologies.
- Experience with container-based implementation and orchestration like Mesos, Kubernetes and Swarm.
- Exposure to multiple, diverse technologies and processing environment.
- Ability to calculate the ROI from adopting cloud and articulate this to customer.
- Well-developed analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills, leveraging both logic and creativity.
- Must be well organised, leverage best practices, and most importantly, innovate through any problem with a can-do attitude.
- Strong leadership and communication skills to influence stakeholders up to the executive level. Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to interact professionally with diverse groups of stakeholders. Ability to work closely with the business to understand and incorporate non-functional requirements in the application and infrastructure architecture.
- Airline knowledge is beneficial.
Personal & Application Information
Cathay Pacific is an Equal Opportunities Employer. Personal data provided by job applicants will be used strictly in accordance with our personal data policy and for recruitment purposes only. Candidates not notified within eight weeks may consider their application unsuccessful. All related information will be kept in our file for up to 24 months. A copy of our Personal Information Collection Statement will be provided upon request by contacting our Data Protection Officer.
Please note that with effect from 1 June 2022 onwards, all Cathay employees and contractors who work in Cathay City and all other Cathay Group Company premises in Hong Kong must have received a third dose of COVID 19 vaccine. Being tested regularly for COVID-19 is not an option. Consideration will be given to those who are unable to get vaccinated for valid medical reasons.