Reports to: Head of Engineering Quality and Airworthiness
The position is responsible for the compliance with CAD360 Part 2 requirements on quality checks of aircraft in-service and in scheduled maintenance. He/she will set and implement company’s maintenance standards and ensure adoption by MROs and service providers. This manager position is critical to support the implementation of engineering maintenance strategy to strengthen the oversight on maintenance services providers to ensure airworthiness standards are maintained in accordance with CPA requirements which defines our safety, operational and economic objectives.
This position is responsile for safety investigation under engineering and oversight of maintenance of Cathay Pacific (CX)/ Cathay Dragon (KA)/ Air Hong Kong (AHK) to ensure safe compliant aircraft to meet the companies’ and regulatory requirements.
First responsbility is leading the Maintenance Standards Team (MST) which is a complex combination including Base Maintenance Team in Xiamen & Hong Kong and a 24x7 line maintenance team who are on shift. The manager is required to effectively manage the remote workforce and to ensure optimal productivity for the compliance of Quality Control and Assurance requirements as mandated by HKCAD 360 Part II Chapter 6 and relevant IOSA requirements. MST role is to ensure the contracted MRO is delivering maintenance services to the expected quality and safety level per defined on the maintenance contract for CPA group managed fleet (CPA, HDA and AHK). Additionally, MST objective is for the compliance of HKCAD CAD360 Chapter 6 Quality Control and Assurance requirements relevant IOSA requirements, on administrating an aircraft surveillance program to ensure group managed fleet are maintained to the required airworthiness standards for supporting the Certificate of Airworthiness renewal program.
Second responsibility is leading the Safety Investigation team to govern the technical, maintenance and back office related safety investigations accountable by engineering are meeting regulatory (HKCAD 360 Part II Chapter 4 Airworthiness Control Procedures), company requirements and relevant IOSA requirements. This includes reporting, investigation and corrective action to prevent future re-occurrence with focus on systemic and organisational related activities. This is critical to ensure all engineering accountable safety occurrence reports (CX / KA / AHK) are timely assessed and investigated for fulfilling CAD712 requirement as safely occurrence investigation is an essential element to the implementation of the Cathay’s Pacific Corporate Safety Management System (SMS) Program.
Key accountabilities include
- Accountable for compliant and safe aircraft line and base maintenance conducted by our MROs.
- Accountable for aligned CPA maintenance standards expectations to our MROs.
- Accountable for maintenance occurrence reduction and elimination through event investigation and to continuously drive improvement on maintenance processes and procedures to achieve company’s maintenance standards and meet regulatory requirements for CX, KA and LD.
- Accountable for effective surveillance and inspection programmes across the global network in both Line Maintenance and Base Maintenance facilities. Set up KPI measurements on MRO performance and drive MRO for improvements
- Member of MOR committee (deputy chairman) and Member of ENGSAG as required under CPA Safety Management System and liaise with HKCAD for any safety invesitgation matters.
- Govern MOR/ASR/MSQDR investigation process and ensure compliance on regulatory and company requirements. Supervision of MEDA investigation process.
Duty holder responsibilities include
- Determine MST work scope from regulatory requirement, operational focus and maintenance risk reduction perspective and design survey strategy, survey scope to enable effective evaluation of MRO maintenance standard.
- Develop CPA maintenance standards to enhance safety, quality and reliability of the maintenance performed including aircraft surveillance in Hong Kong Line Maintenance, Base Maintenance facility in Hong Kong, Xiamen, and in recent years extended to Beijing, Shanghai and Singapore.
- Resource planning on required Safety Investigation and MST work scope
- To ensure sufficient resources is available to support surveillance work demand raised by CPA internal Business Units such as Technical Services and FTM customer airlines AHK and HDA to conduct process observations and aircraft surveillance per requested.
- Determine topical MST focus with internal sections from operational events
- Chair MST meeting with MROs on findings review and improvement opportunities
- Drive improvements and reduce risk of maintenance errors in maintenance providers by effectively utilizing surveillance findings; align maintenance standards expectations with MRO by developing and implementing CPA ENG inspection and maintenance standards.
- Drive improvements in ENG internal processes and maintenance program effectiveness.
- Operational duty holder for safety investigation under engineering fulfilling CAD712 requirement and to establish how human factors may have contributed to the incident along with recommendations made to allow management team to implement corrective actions on preventing re-occurrence.
Section responsibilities include
- Overseeing and ensuring that Engineering maintains an effective infrastructure and quality processes to protect continued airworthiness on the aircraft fleet managed by Engineering.
- Management and development of the quality assurance and quality control programme in engineering department
- Perform ramp surveillance for CPA, Cathay Dragon and Air Hong Kong aircraft in HKG.
- Perform light maintenance surveillance for CPA, Cathay Dragon and Air Hong Kong aircraft in HKG and other approved line stations.
- Perform base maintenance surveillance for CPA, Cathay Dragon and Air Hong Kong aircraft.
- Perform Aircraft C of A inspection to support the C of A annual renewal requirement. (EOMP 4-9)
- Report Ramp Surveillance, Light Maintenance and C of A inspection findings to MRO via QASR form.
- Report BM surveillance findings to MRO production.
- Report aircraft condition and maintenance instruction to with ENG internal sections to enhance maintenance program effectiveness.
- Mitigate repetitive findings by introducing inspection and maintenance standards.
- Conduct MSQDR Safety Investigation for fulfilling CAD712 requirement
- Conduct MOR (Mandatory Occurrence Report) Investigation for fulfilling CAD382 requirement
- Conduct MEDA investigation and make recommendation to ENG management team on implementing mitigations for preventing occurrence re-occurrence
- Conduct Internal and Line Station audit to fulfill CAD360 and HKAR145 requirement
Management responsibilities include
- Manage staff and team performance by setting up effective competencies and SMART Goals, and personal development / career plans.
- Develop staff through advice, coaching, on-job-training, internal and external training.
- Collaborate with internal sections and MROs for continuous improvement opportunities.
- LEAN deployment for process improvement and utilisation of resources across all team functions
- Minimum 9.5 years’ experience in aircraft maintenance and/or engineering. Relevant experience in managing maintenance organisations.
- Degree in Engineering / aerospace discipline or Aircraft Maintennace Licence holder or Other comparable qualifications or experience may also be acceptable.
- Strong leadership skills. Proven ability to manage across departments; regulators; OEMs; and suppliers.
- Previous experience in QA, QC, safety, risk management roles.
- Sound knowledge of Hong Kong Civil Aviation Department (HKCAD) regulations and/or other national authority regulations.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, able to collaborate with all levels of parties throughout the organization, both internal and external.
- Adaptable and responsive to change. Demonstrate ability to drive change for excellence and quality performance.
- Ability to lead and provide necessary guidance & support for the team.
Application Deadline: 11 August 2020
Cathay Pacific is an Equal Opportunities Employer. Personal data provided by job applicants will be used strictly in accordance with our personal data policy and for recruitment purposes only. Candidates not notified within eight weeks may consider their application unsuccessful. All related information will be kept in our file for up to 24 months. A copy of our Personal Information Collection Statement will be provided upon request by contacting our Data Protection Officer.