Reports to: General Manager Flying
The job holder will responsible for the regulatory compliance applicable to operation, maintenance and modification of Flying Training Devices (FTDs). He/ She will be responsible for the evaluation, specification, design, development, engineering, maintenance, and rectification of simulators and other training equipment. He/ She will supervise the supply of simulator and ground training services of Cathay Pacific Airways Limited to Flight Crew and Engineering Personnel in a competitive and cost effective manner.
- Develop strategies to ensure effective and efficient utilisation of flight training devices and simulators
- Manage the development and implementation of Simulator Engineering policies and functions to comply with AOC requirements and Company fleet specific
- Operations Manuals
- Formulate quality and section policies, approving plans and ensuring their implementation to attain safe, economical and effective:
- Utilisation of full flight simulators and flight training devices
- Recruitment, training and utilisation of Simulator Engineering staff
- Section development and manpower planning to meet future change
- Departmental communication, both internal and external
- Selection of new simulators and training equipment
- Manage the relationship with external third party simulator training providers ensuring maximum financial benefit for the Company
- Ensure that all personnel matters are administered as per Company policy
- Control Company simulator contracts in relation to:
- Simulator and training device purchase, upgrades, modifications or replacements
- Third party sales with the objective of optimising revenue and utilising spare training capacity
- Ensure simulator approvals and fidelity meet AOC requirements and HKCAD requirements in liaison with Head of Flying Training
- Chair the Simulator Change and Addition Request (SCAR) committee meetings
- Provide cost-benefit analysis ensuring third party simulators likely to be used by Cathay Pacific (CX) meet Company requirements and are certified by HKCAD and relevant "Authority to Test" approvals have been applied for and provided by HKCAD
- Ensure the preparation of the Simulator Engineering budget and exercising control of expenditure
- Maintain a system of quality management will ensure compliance and conformity with the Air Operators' Certificate and other appropriate legislation. Reviewing of QA findings, corrective and preventative actions/trends affecting simulator training
- Ensure Chief Pilot Training is appraised of issues relevant to the simulator training section
- Administer and develop the Simulator Engineering Section into a more efficient and marketable product for CX and external customers
- Hold responsibility for maintaining the high standard of reliability, serviceability and fidelity of CX and external customers’ simulators and training equipment
- Work closely with CPs, HOFT, TDSM, STMs, external customers and simulator manufacturers to obtain and uphold the highest possible level of qualification for each training device from the HKCAD and other regulatory authorities as appropriate
- Assist Flight Operations (FOP) senior management in planning and developing CX’s simulator and training capabilities by evaluating projects and making recommendations on technical matters
- Develop business related to simulator engineering and maintenance with external customers, and be responsible for the execution of maintenance contracts to the customer’s satisfaction
- Manage and motivate staff to achieve section objectives through appraisal, counselling, and recommendation of promotions, demotions, and dismissals to General Manager Operation (GMO)
- Work closely with APD, GMF, CPs, HOFT, MFT, STMs and TTM on the specification, evaluation, purchase, design and acceptance of new or updated training equipment for both CX and external customers if applicable.
- MBA or similar suitable business/management formal education.
- Minimum 15 years’ aviation-related experience in technical management or supervisory capacity.
- Strong commercial and cost awareness and customer service mind-set.
- Thorough knowledge of the Regulatory environment and requirements pertinent to the operation of Flight Training Devices, both locally and internationally.
- Thorough knowledge of the technologies and equipment design methodologies employed in flight training device manufacture and operation.
- Close familiarity with major training device manufacturers and suppliers industry, their practices, advantages and shortcomings of their organisations.
- Proven record of performance in aviation-relevant technical project and team management.
Personal & Application Information
Cathay Pacific is an Equal Opportunities Employer. Personal data provided by job applicants will be used strictly in accordance with our personal data policy and for recruitment purposes only. Candidates not notified within eight weeks may consider their application unsuccessful. All related information will be kept in our file for up to 24 months. A copy of our Personal Information Collection Statement will be provided upon request by contacting our Data Protection Officer.